And now… Here is the Accompaniment Track to “Leviathan of the Ancient Deep,” Movement 2! Remember, again, there is no solo line added yet; only accompaniment.
A little bit about this second movement; well, and about this Concerto on the whole, in case you’re interested….
The work consists of three movements:
- Seekers of the Legend – There go the ships: [there] is that Leviathan, [whom] thou hast made to play therein.
- Sighting – Canst thou draw out Leviathan with an hook?… None is so fierce that dare stir him up… Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear… He is a king over all the children of pride.
- The Hunt – In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish Leviathan…that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that [is] in the sea.
Movement 2 – “Sighting” – is definitely the most complex and meatiest part of the concerto! At approximately eleven minutes in length, it is the “obligatory” sonata form movement (not that there’s necessarily a whole lot of “obligatory anything” in modern writing, hahaha!). What’s interesting about it, however, is that the format is actually what can be called a “mirror sonata form” – meaning, what starts out as Exposition A and B in the beginning, at the Recapitulation it is reversed and played out as Exposition B then A. Additionally, the series of harmonies at the movement’s ending are the exact harmonies played in the introduction, but reversed… giving the whole movement a final “winding down” feeling…
Throughout the development, the themes from the exposition are (of course) explored in a variety of slightly odd treatments. But, in so doing, the listener is also taken on an aural journey of the “Seekers” from the first movement now running into the Creature of Legend. There are titles given to certain sections within the movement; I’ll list them here with times – see if you can visualize the action! 🙂
- “In the Swirling Depths” – 1:02
- “Stirred Up” – 3:28
- “Breaching the Surface” – 4:21
- “Breathless at the Sight of the Creature” – 6:52
- “Curious Encounter” – 7:04
- “In Pursuit of the Creature” – 8:21
- “Elusion and Return to the Deep” – 9:04
Once again, it will be even more superb once I record the solo line! And it’ll probably make a lot more sense, too… well, maybe, lol… 🙂
In the meantime, enjoy this little “teaser”; the accompaniment track for Movement 2![audio https://sarahwallinhuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/leviathan-experiment_mvt2_full.mp3]